Minnesota Green Cards for Brothers and Sisters Attorney

U.S. citizens can sponsor their brothers and sisters for Green Cards regardless of their siblings’ marital status. A citizen submits a I-130 Form to the USCIS along with birth certificates for the sponsor and siblings. Additional documentation required is proof of citizenship such as: a valid US passport, birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, naturalization certificate, or certificate of citizenship.

Children of siblings must be unmarried and younger than age 21 as of the date of petition. If a child turns 21 after the filing, subtract length of time petition was pending from the child’s age to determine priority date, as described under the Child Status Protection Act. Legal Permanent Residents are not qualified to sponsor their siblings for permanent residency.

If a citizen has an adopted sibling, or by the same step parents, or who share a common father and different mothers, additional documentation is required. One of Tarshish Cody PLC attorneys can explain in detail the requirements for a Green Card.

Schedule a free initial consult with our attorneys at Tarshish Cody, PLC. Call 952-361-5556.

Siblings from adoption will be required to submit copies of the adoption decrees as confirmation of the adoption, which must have been finalized prior to becoming 16 years of age. Siblings from a step-parent are required to submit copies of documents confirming termination of prior marriages of the natural parents or step-parents. Siblings with a common biological father and different mothers are required to show copies of marriage certificates of the father to each mother and documents showing prior marriages have been terminated.

In the event that the citizen of a sibling’s name was changed, proof of legal process for that name change must be submitted. For example, a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court judgment of the name change, etc. are required.

Petitioners can follow the status of the application online by contacting USCIS. If a petition is denied, an appeal is available for a fee through the Board of Immigration Appeals.

Keep in mind that this petition category has a limit of 65,000 annually and therefore the waiting list is up to 13 years. The wait is even long for Philippine or Mexican petitioners, extending as long as 23 and 18 years. We welcome your call today at 952-361-5556 (or fill out the free case evaluation form below) to help you through the legal issues of your green cards for brothers and sisters case.

Start Your Immigration Case Evaluation

Fields marked with an * are required

Featured By