Minnesota Green Cards for Parents Attorney

A United States citizen at least 21 years of age with parents who are non-U.S. citizens is eligible to sponsor those parents for Green Cards. The parents of adults who are U.S. citizens are in a category of “immediate relatives” under American immigration laws, which exempts them from numerical quotas. For these cases, the petition process is only as long as the administrative process itself. If a U.S. adult citizen’s parents are already lawfully in the U.S., the process should take six months, so long as the citizen submits the following:

  • An I-130 application for each parent
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Confirmation the applicants are the citizen’s parents

The alien parents should submit I-485 petitions to establish the required Adjustment of Status. With those applications, they may apply for work permits or international travel permits, known as Advance Paroles. With either of these requests, the citizen must provide affidavits of support for each parent.

The alien parents must submit fingerprints and medical reports to receive work and travel permits which are typically provided within 90 days. Later they will be interviewed by local USCIS workers, and if approved receive Green Cards.

Alien parents of U.S. citizens who have unlawfully entered the US experience more difficulty obtaining Green Cards. For these cases, an experienced Tarshish Cody PLC immigration attorney should be consulted to discuss all options.

If alien parents are living abroad, the application process takes about one year to receive Green Cards. These parents should submit:

  • I-130 forms for both parents
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Confirmation they are the parents

Once the USCIS receives the petitions, after a few months they will be forwarded to the National Visa Center in Portsmouth, New Hampshire {NVC}. The NVC will communicate directly with the parents to prepare for interviews. The interviews take place at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. With all forms in order and fees paid, the U.S. citizen provides an affidavit of support for both parents. Then the parents will be interviewed in their home country. Upon approval, alien parents have six months to immigrate into the U.S. Upon arrival, a Customs and Border Protection agent will review paperwork, stamp passports, and permit entry as lawful permanent U.S. residents.

To assist in this process, call for a free initial consultation with Tarshish Cody PLC attorneys at 651-888-0053 (or fill out the free case evaluation form below) to help you through the legal issues of your green cards for parents case.

Start Your Immigration Case Evaluation

Fields marked with an * are required

Featured By