Minnesota Green Cards for Spouses and Children of LPRS Attorney

A lawful permanent resident can petition using a Form I-130 for Green Cards for spouses and children. This category of visa has a quota and often the process consumes up to two years. Keep in mind some countries have more applicants, and in those cases, the process can exceed two years.

Those eligible to naturalize to become a U.S. citizen should do so quickly and become eligible to sponsor their spouse and unmarried children. Those in this sub-category are considered immigration relatives and exempt from quota restrictions. Contact the law firm of Tarshish Cody PLC for more information.

Those not yet eligible to naturalize can submit the Form I-130. Children seeking Green Cards must not have reached the age of 21 and be unmarried. There are special restrictions for step-children; specifically, the sponsor’s marriage to the step-child’s parent must occur prior to the child’s 18th birthday.

Sponsors are required to attach to the I-130 Form and submit to the USCIS a copy of sponsor’s Green Card; copy of marriage certificate; where divorce has occurred, documentation; and birth certificates for spouse and children. Attorneys at the Tarshis Cody PLC law firm will assist in the petitioning process.

Lawfully Permanent Residents whose children and spouse are in the U.S. on a temporary visa, can be eligible to adjust that status to permanent residency and remain in the U.S. It is important those spouses and children apply before their temporary visa expires. The spouse and each child submits a Form I-485 to the USCIS with an affidavit of support for each. Typically, a tourist visa will not permit this petition for adjustment of status.

Should a lawful permanent resident have a spouse and children in residence abroad, when the form I-130 is approved, it is sent by the USCIS to the National Visa Center. As their priority date approaches, they will be notified to send required documentation and fees for an interview at the Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence.

If all goes well in the interview, the spouse and children will be allowed to enter the U.S. for a period of six months. They must be formally admitted by a Customs and Border Protection officer and then become lawful permanent residents themselves.

We welcome your call today at 651-888-0053 (or fill out the free case evaluation form below) to help you through the legal issues of your green cards for spouses and children of LPRS case.

Start Your Immigration Case Evaluation

Fields marked with an * are required

Featured By