Minnesota Green Cards for Unmarried Adult Sons and Daughters of LPRS Attorney

Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. can petition with Form I-130 for a Green Card for the immigration of an unmarried child. This category of visas are subject to quota limitations so it may take several years before a Green Card is issued. Also be advised that waiting extends to 28 years for Philippine children and over 100 years for Mexican children. The attorneys at Tarshish Cody PLC law firm can advise you on your options for a Green Card in this category. Call 952-361-5556 .

 For U.S. citizens who are naturalized, an unmarried child retains the priority date of the 2B petition and will automatically be changed to a 1st preference category (unmarried children of U.S. citizens). Should the waiting period in the 1st preference category be longer, the Child Status Protection Act permits the child to opt-out of this conversion and return to the 2B original category, even though the sponsor is now a U.S. citizen.

The parent sponsor files Form I-130, filing fees, a copy of the Green Card, copy of sponsor’s marriage certificate, or in the event of a divorced sponsor, a copy of the divorce decree, and finally the birth certificates of the children.

If the sponsor’s children are already lawfully in the U.S. on a temporary visa, they can be eligible to adjust their status to permanent residents while remaining in the U.S. Their temporary status must not expire before an application for adjustment of status however. This can happen for student visas, etc. also a tourist visa is not likely to provide enough time. The children must submit a Form I-485 to the USCIS, accompanied by a sponsor affidavit.

Should the sponsor’s children reside abroad, after the sponsor’s Form I-130 is approved, it is forwarded from the USCIS to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will send for documentation and filing fees from the children and schedule interviews at the Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. Once the interview has been successfully concluded, the children have six months to enter the U.S. through a Customs and Border Protection officer, which will finalize their lawful permanent residency status. The lawyers at Tarshish Cody PLC will schedule a free initial consultation to help guide your through the complex immigration process. We welcome your call today at 952-361-5556 (or fill out the free case evaluation form below) to help you through the legal issues of your green cards for unmarried adult sons and daughters of LPRS case.

Start Your Immigration Case Evaluation

Fields marked with an * are required

Featured By