Minnesota B2 Tourist Visa Attorney

B-2 Tourist Visa

A B-2 Visa, also known as a tourist visa, is a non-immigrant visa similar to the B-1 Business visa, except it is intended for foreign citizens entering the United States for pleasure or for medical treatment.  Holders of the B-2 Visa are not allowed to study or work while within the United States under this visa, however they are permitted to participate in recreational courses that are not credit based as long as the courses are no longer than 18 hours per week and the visa holder’s consulate and school agree that the visa can be used for such courses.  The B-2 visa is to be used solely for tourism purposes.  Those who intend to travel to the United States with the intent to study or attend conferences and seminars in order to earn credits towards a particular degree need to obtain a student visa instead.

B-2 Visa holders need to take Dependents into consideration when traveling to the United States on a temporary basis.  While dependents of certain non-immigrant visa holders may use a B-2 visa, any dependent accompanying a B-2 visa holder must qualify for a B visa on their own.


Applicants may generally apply at the American embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence.  While they may apply outside of their country, it is much easier to qualify for the visa if they apply within their country of residence than it is when an application is completed outside of their home country.  Persons who have a passport in which contains a previously issued visitor visa may qualify for expedited procedures for the issuance of a new B-2 Visa or may even qualify to travel to the United States without a visa on the Visa Waiver Program if they are traveling from specific countries that are eligible for this program.  Each American Embassy and consulate does have different procedures and requirements in order to qualify.  It is important to contact your local consulate or an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.  Our immigration attorneys are ready to help.  Contact our office for a free consultation at 952-361-5556 now.

The application process for the B-2 tourist visa is the same process as B-1 Business Visa applicants must go through, except they must provide evidence that demonstrates:

  1. The purpose of their trip is either for pleasure or medical treatment;
  2. They intend to remain for a specific, temporary time period; and
  3. They have a current residence located outside of the United States, have strong economic, financial, and family ties to their home country that will insure their return home by the end of the trip.

All applicants must pay a non-refundable $100.00 (US currency) application fee in addition to any reciprocity fee that is applicable to their home country and submit supporting documentation in which presents evidence of the intended purpose and length of the trip, that arrangements have been made to cover expenses prior to the trip, and any relevant documentation that may help show cause for the consular to approve the application.  For example, if the purpose of the applicant’s trip is to seek medical treatment within the United States, the applicant should submit a letter, statement, or documentation from a physician or institution regarding the proposed medical procedure, treatment, or care.


The Visa Waiver program is a program in which allows qualified persons who are traveling to the United States for three months (90 days) for the purpose of tourism or business to visit without obtaining a visa.  Travelers entering the country via this program may not accept employment, take courses, change their visitor status, or exceed their stay longer than 90 days.  Twenty-eight (28) countries partake in this program including:

  • Andorra
  • Austrailia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • Uruguay

For more information on whether or not you may be eligible for the Visa Waiver program, contact your local embassy, consulate, or schedule a free consult Tarshish Cody’s experienced immigration attorneys today at 952-361-5556.


Admission into the United States is not guaranteed by the approval of a visa.  Any applicant who attempts to obtain a visa by means of fraud or misrepresentation may face permanent denial of entry into the United States in addition to a denied visa.  Immigration Inspectors located at the Port of Entry are authorized to approve or deny the traveler’s admission and may even determine the length of stay.  If admission is approved, the inspector will provide the applicant with a Form I-94, which will notate the permitted length the trip will be.  Should the traveler stay longer than 90 days, they must apply for an extension with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) who will be the deciding factor to grant or deny the petitioner’s request.

The attorneys at Tarshish Cody are ready to advise and help you through the application process.  Contact us at 952-361-5556 (or fill out the free case evaluation form below) to schedule a free appointment with one of our attorneys today.

Start Your Immigration Case Evaluation

Fields marked with an * are required

Featured By