Minnesota J1 Visa Exchange Visitor Attorney

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

This classification is a type of J-1 Visa authorized for those persons who intend to visit the United States and partake in an approved program.  In order to be considered an approved program, its purpose must pertain to observing, training, studying, conducting research, teaching, instructing, consulting, demonstrate specified skillsets, or to receive graduate medical education or training.  Such programs are designed specifically to promote the interchange of knowledge and skill in business, education, science, and arts.

Exchange visitors may include:

  • Au pairs/Nannies
  • Camp counselors
  • Teachers
  • Scholars
  • Professors
  • Students
  • Research assistants
  • Trainees
  • Specialists

How do I apply?

Applicants must first obtain Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (formerly known as Form IAP-66) from a Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (AR) through their sponsoring agency and submit the form to the United States Department of State at a United States Embassy or consulate.  J-1 visa holders may not Waiting periods for an interview very from applicant to applicant so it is important to work closely with your RO or ARO to help you gather the required documentation you need in order to submit your application as soon as possible.


Employment authorized under the J-1 visa is determined by the program.  You should confirm with your Sponsoring Agent what the terms and conditions of employment are and gather information on any restrictions that may apply to you while you are employed in the United States.


Immediate family members of J-1 visa holders are eligible to apply for the J-2 visa.  Eligibility is limited to the J-1 visa holder’s spouse and their unmarried children who are under 21 years of age.  The spouse of the J-1 visa holder is entitled to obtain authorization to work in the United States on the condition that their income is not used as the supporting income.  In order to for a J-2 nonimmigrant to apply for work authorization, they must obtain Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and submit same to the United States Department of State.


Tarshish Cody’s immigration attorneys are ready to advise you.  Let us help you through the process.  Call us now at 952-361-5556 (or fill out the free case evaluation form below) to discuss more about your J-1 visa matter.

Start Your Immigration Case Evaluation

Fields marked with an * are required

Featured By