Minnesota Naturalization Through Military Service Attorney

Military members that have served honorably since September 2001, and during prior conflicts such as World War II and the Vietnam War, are eligible to apply for immediate naturalization.

Unlike other application processes for naturalization, military personnel that have served honorably, may apply without any continuous physical presence or residency in the United States. Unless they are applying for naturalization through military service during peacetime. Then they are required to have at least a 3 year period of permanent residency in the United States, and must have spent at more than 50% of the last 3 years in the country.

In order to be approved for naturalization applicants must take an oath of allegiance to the United States, pass a test on the United States history and government, know and understand English, and be a person of good moral character. In addition, applicants must submit an Application for Naturalization (N-400) as well as verification of their military service.


The Military Accession Vital to National Interest (MAVNI) program was established in 2008 by the Department of Defense. This program allows non-immigrants (people who are not permanent residents or citizens of the United States) to enlist in the United States Armed Forces based on their skills in foreign-language or health care related fields. When first established the program was limited to between 1000 and 1500 people each year. However, in the fiscal 2015 year the number was increased to 3000 and will increase again to 5000 in the following year.


Spouses and children of members of the US Armed Forces are also eligible for immigration benefits. An example of this would be, that if the immediate family (spouse and children) or an U.S Military member entered the country they would be able to apply to adjust their status to permanent residents without having to leave the country. Generally they will be given what the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services refer to as a parole-in-place”.

If the military member is deployed abroad, some dependents might be eligible for expedited naturalization for processing overseas.

We welcome your call today at 952-361-5556 (or fill out the free case evaluation form below) to help you through the legal issues of your naturalization through military service case.

Start Your Immigration Case Evaluation

Fields marked with an * are required


Featured By